Ceramic Coating: Pros and Cons
It takes a consistent investment of time and effort to maintain your car. Vehicle owners are always in search of innovative and budget-friendly ways to maintain their automobiles. Ceramic coating is one way of keeping your car in top condition. It protects it against dirt and debris to keep it glossy and clean between washes.
Here we give you a low-down on the benefits and downsides of the ceramic coating as a maintenance option for your car.
What is a Ceramic Coating?
Ceramic coating, also called nano-ceramic coating, is a permanent or semi-permanent solution made of chemical polymer that provides a layer of protection for your car’s paint. It prevents dirt, grime, and stain marks from appearing on the surface.
What are the Benefits of Ceramic Coating?
- Protects the paint against UV rays: It shields the paint from harmful ultraviolet radiation. It also minimizes oxidation, which is the primary reason for the dull and lackluster paint.
- Enhances chemical resistance: Ceramic coating creates a chemically resistant surface barrier that protects a vehicle’s exterior from chemical staining. It protects the paint against damage by acidic contaminants and prevents chemicals from permanently bonding with the paint.
- Ease of cleaning The liquid polymer coating makes your car’s surface hydrophobic or water repellant by sealing off the microscopic pores. As a result, mud, grime, and contaminants slide off the surface easily, making it easier to clean.
- Enhanced shine: Ceramic coating is wholly transparent and adds a glossy, luxurious sheen to your car’s paint job.
What are the Disadvantages of Ceramic Coating?
- Minimal protection against scratches and swirl marks: Even with a layer of ceramic coating, hard contact against sharp objects may cause scratches on your vehicle. Swirl marks from repetitive car washes are another common risk.
- No repose from water spots: Although the coating is water repellant, natural minerals and soluble particles in the water can cause permanent blemishes on the surface. Ceramic coating doesn’t protect your car against this risk.
- It doesn’t eliminate the need for a car wash: Ceramic coating can reduce the number of car washes and make it easier to clean, but that doesn’t mean you can avoid it altogether.
- Expensive: Another disadvantage is that ceramic coating doesn’t come cheap. It can cost you between $500 and $2000 depending on the process, materials and technique employed. You can opt for a DIY coat, but the results won’t be as effective.
About Ruddick’s Detail
If you want to get your car coated with ceramic, let Ruddick’s Detail be your one-stop destination. A family-owned company based out of central Florida since 2015, we specialize in exotic, classic, high-value, and luxury vehicle care.
At Ruddick’s Detail, we offer a wide range of services, including state-of-the-art detailing, paint enhancements, window tinting, paint protection film, and complete luxury vehicle care & customization, and paint correction in Florida. You can call us at 321-607-1606 to book an appointment. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill our online contact form for more information.